Warning: the following will be relevant to software developers only. Ignore this post if you aren't one :)
I wish universities offered a required course on debuggers for those in Computer Science program, or at least made the use of the debugger a mandatory task in a heavy-programming course.
Debuggers are fairly simple to use, yet for some reason many programmers still rely on printf statements to do most of their debugging. I think that debuggers course would help students
appreciate debuggers. And, IMHO, that's the key - appeciating a debugger, and realizing that it's usually more efficient than using printfs ! Most students probably don't recognize true capabilities of a good debugger, and how much it can do for them. For example did you know that you can create a watch and have the debugger breakpoint when some variable attains a certain value, or that you can set a conditional breakpoint so that a debugger only breakpoints on a line if a certain conditi...
Yesterday I finally moved into my newly rented apartment in San Francisco. It is a small bachelor apartment(or studio as they call it in the US), but I think it will suit me just fine. The view from the balcony (I'm on the 27th floor) is absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately San Francisco is often foggy, so I usually can't see very far. I really like the place so far; and it feels great finally living in a place of my own. Surprisingly, I even feel motivated to keep it clean; this never happened to me before. Am I maturing ? Yesterday I also made a trip to Wal-Mart to purchase various products that are essential for living. It's incredible how much stuff there is ! Anything from forks and spoons, to shower curtain and garbage bin. I spent nearly $150, and will probably need to make another two or three trips. Right now the apartment feels somewhat empty. Out of furniture I just have an air-mattress, and computer desk. Not even a chair to sit on. Hopefully this will change over...
Finally, two months after buying a Canon Powershot S60 I got to read it's instruction manual today. My knowledge of digital photography has been really minimal, so reading that instruction manual really opened my eyes to the wonders of photography. I was amazed at how many camera options one can configure in order improve the quality of the pictures.
After reading the manual, I turned to Google to find more resources and tutorials on digital photography, and quickly found an excellent website http://www.dcviews.com that has an incredible collection of tutorials on all kinds of topics related to digital photography.
Obviously I cannot become a great photographer right away, but I hope that after reading all that information today, my future pictures are going to be at least slightly better than the ones I've been taking up until now.
Comments