Trip to Africa

As I mentioned in the earlier posting, I recently went on a 3 week tour of Kenya and Tanzania. At first I planned to write a very detailed overview of the trip but then when I started writing it, I realized that my writing abilities are simply not good enough to produce a detailed, yet interesting and humorous review. In addition to that, my friend Alex who went on the tour with me has already written a really good review here.

Thus, I'm just going to write a few things in point form.
  • Seeing all the animals living in the wild, in their own world with little or no human intervention is absolutely fascinating. Its one thing to see a lone giraffe in the zoo, but when you see a family of 5 giraffees, just walking around, minding their own business, not really caring for us humans - it's a completely different experience. Or take lions for example. I couldn't believe my eyes when we were driving in a truck, and there was a pride of about 12 lions sharing the road with us, walking right next to the truck, almost oblivious to our presence.
  • Guerba - our tour guide company - really knows its shit. They've been in business for something like 20 years and it shows. Our tour guides were very informative and could answer all of our questions about African geography, vegetation and wildlife. Our cook was fantastic. We had great food every day and I was never left hugry. The tents that were provided to us were outstanding; they were easy to assemble, and stayed dry even during the heaviest of rains.
  • Most of the people on the tour(with 1 or 2 exceptions) were in their late twenties or early thirties. Most were avid travellers, with lots of stories. Our nightly bonefires were never boring. Most people were travelling alone, so it was really easy to make friends.
  • Kenyan and Tanzanian scenery is beautiful. Some of the highlights were the view of the Great Rift Valley, Hell's Gate Park(apparently that's where Tomb Raider movie was shot) , Ngorongoro Crater, Mount Kilamanjaro and Lake Nakuru.
  • All bigger Kenyan cities have Internet cafes on almost every corner. The rate is around 1USD/hour, which is really good.
  • Camping for three weeks is exhausting, especially considering the fact that we had to wake up at 6:30-7AM every morning. Now that I think about it, it would've been better to do a 2 week tour of Kenya, and a year later do a 2 week tour of Tanzania and Zanzibar(which we never visited).
  • Kenyan beer Tusker is really good. I wish they imported it into Canada.
Overall, it was an incredible adventure that I will remember for the rest of my life.

Tags:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The wonders of photography...

Ferry Corsten at Mezzanine, San Francisco